Monday, March 7, 2016

Post 2 - Delivering Bad News


Delivering Bad News Tactfully and effectively
By Jack Eaton

  
            Being the person in charge is not always an easy task, especially when there is bad news and/or an ultimatum to deliver.  Delivering bad news or an ultimatum can be very difficult.  How we deal with difficult communication situations is an important task.  It definitely takes more thought and preparation to deal with this kind of situation.  Our performance as leaders in difficult situations will always have a large impact on your overall job performance.  When communication succeeds, the organization is likely to be effective and efficient and workers satisfied and committed.  When it fails, both the organization and the individual members suffer (Trenholm, 2011).  This is why delivering bad news is an important aspect of communication within an organization.  The case study provided allows us to deliver bad news tactfully and effectively.
“You are a department manager in a mid-sized company that provides technology support services.  You have ten employees who are required to maintain a high level of technical expertise and deliver excellent customer service.  One of your employees, who has been with the company for two years, is performing at a substandard level and you have received numerous complaints from customers and coworkers.  In addition, this employee has displayed confrontational behavior which has created a hostile environment.  You must now meet with this employee and deliver an ultimatum regarding the need for immediate improvement or dismissal.”
            In this situation, my decision would be to give the employee both verbal and written warnings for the employee’s substandard performance.  I would also make it clear that this type of thing is not to continue or there would be further disciplinary action taken that would probably include termination.

            I would ask that the employee come to my office.  It would be very important that I am clear and explain my position thoroughly.  While the employee needs to know exactly what is happening and understand why it is happening, it would be important for me to also exercise empathy.  Being direct while also viewing the situation through the employee’s eyes will provide the best chance of ending the meeting positively.  I would explain why the employee was receiving the warning which includes the customer and co-worker complaints.  When someone knows that a decision was reached thoughtfully, they are more likely to accept it (Gallo, 2015).  I would end the meeting by expressing my confidence in the employee’s ability to improve.

            Since the employee has displayed confrontational behavior that has created a hostile work environment in the past, I would expect a little blow back.  It is part of your role as a manager to absorb some of that emotion, whether it is anger, surprise or something else (Gallo, 2015).  If I have an employee who has been temperamental prior to the meeting, I would fully expect them to have something to say upon learning that their performance has been below standard.  Letting the employee vent might also lead to a better outcome.  You might learn why the employee has been difficult to deal with, and letting the employee vent their frustrations to you will most likely allow them to interact with their customers and co-workers more pleasantly.  The important thing is that the employee knows they are being warned for their poor performance and not their confrontational behavior.  I can put up with a difficult employee as long as they come to work every day, perform well, and are civil with those they deal with.  I would make it clear that all complaints and issues the employee has need to come straight to me to spare co-workers from a hostile work environment.
Hopefully, the employee appreciates the fact that I would not take disciplinary action for any outburst that may follow the meeting.  I believe that when I elect not to discipline someone when they deserve it, the effect can be greater than if I did choose to discipline them.  When delivering bad news, empathy is an important skill to apply.  Understanding how you would feel being on the receiving end of this news is important.  I would have to craft my delivery accordingly.  Being firm does not mean being uncaring.  Finding the right balance to do what is required, but with the maximum possible human consideration under the circumstances is essential to the communication and conflict management processes.  It will help me increase my reputation as a skilled communicator and earn the respect of my employees.
  
References
Gallo, A. (2015) How to Give People Bad News.  Administrative Professional 
           Today.  Sep2015.  Vol. 41 Issue 9, p5-5. 1/5p.
Trenholm, S. (2011) Thinking Through Communication for Ashford University, 
           6th Edition.  Pearson Learning Solutions. VitalSource Bookshelf Online.


1 comment:

  1. Hello Jack,
    This post show your ability to site sources and use information to support your reasoning. I would suggest refraining from using the word "I" though. The coloring on your page is very easy to ready as well. Good job.
    Shay

    ReplyDelete